Presentation Patterns is the first book on presentations that categorizes and organizes the building blocks (or patterns) that youll need to communicate effectively using presentation tools like Keynote and PowerPoint.
Patterns are like the lower-level steps found inside recipes they are the techniques you must master to be considered a master chef or master presenter. You can use the patterns in this book to construct your own recipes for different contexts, such as business meetings, technical demonstrations, scientific expositions, and keynotes, just to name a few.
Although there are no such things as antirecipes, this book shows you lots of antipatternsthings you should avoid doing in presentations. Modern presentation tools often encourage ineffective presentation techniques, but this book shows you how to avoid them.
Each pattern is introduced with a memorable name, a definition, and a brief explanation of motivation. Readers learn where the pattern applies, the consequences of applying it, and how to apply it. The authors also identify critical antipatterns: clichs, fallacies, and design mistakes that cause presentations to disappoint. These problems are easy to avoidonce you know how.
Presentation Patterns will help you
- Plan what youll say, who youll say it to, how long youll talk, and where youll present
- Perfectly calibrate your presentation to your audience
- Use the storytellers narrative arc to full advantage
- Strengthen your credibilityand avoid mistakes that hurt it
- Hone your message before you ever touch presentation software
- Incorporate visuals that support your message instead of hindering it
- Create highly effective infodecks that work when youre not able to deliver a talk in person
- Construct slides that really communicate and avoid Ant Fonts, Floodmarks, Alienating Artifacts, and other errors
- Master 13 powerful techniques for delivering your presentation with power, authority, and clarity
Whether you use this book as a handy reference or read it from start to finish, it will be a revelation: an entirely new language for systematically planning, creating, and delivering more powerful presentations. Youll quickly find it indispensableno matter what youre presenting, who your audiences are, or what message youre driving home.