Copper Plate Photogravure describes in comprehensive detail the technique of traditional copper plate photogravure as would be practiced by visual artists using normally available facilities and materials. Attention is paid to step-by-step guidance through the many stages of the process. A detailed manual of technique, Copper Plate Photogravure also offers the history of the medium and reference to past alternative methods of practice.
Copper Plate Photogravure: Demystifying the Process is part of the current revitalization of one of the most satisfyingly beautiful image-making processes. The range of ink color and paper quality possibilities is endless. The potential for handwork and alteration of the copper plate provides yet another realm of expressive variation. The subject matter and the treatment are as variable and broad as photography itself. This book's purpose is to demystify and clarify what is a complex but altogether "do-able" photomechanical process using currently available materials. With Copper Plate Photogravure, you will learn how to:
· produce a full-scale film positive from a photographic negative
· sensitize the gravure tissue to prepare it for exposure to the positive
· prepare the plate and develop the gelatin resist prior to etching
· prepare the various strengths of etching solutions and etch the plate to achieve a full tonal scale
· rework the plate using printmaking tools to correct flaws or to adjust the image for aesthetic reasons
· use the appropriate printing inks, ink additives, quality papers, and printshop equipment to produce a high
A historical survey and appendices of detailed technical information, charts, and tables are included, as well as a list of suppliers and sources for the materials required, some of which are highly specialized. A comprehensive glossary
introduces the non-photographer or non-printmaker to many of the terms particular to those fields and associated with this process.
* Follow step-by-step basic printing procedures for a photogravure plate, complete with trouble shooting information
* Valuable information is offered on the materials, procedures, and printshop equipment
* Study the historical precedents from the invention of photography to its current commercial use